ASNT Ultrasonic Committees Homepage
Minutes of the Ultrasonics Committee
'99 ASNT Spring Conference
Tuesday, 23 March 1999
For more information please see:
or thru http://ndeaa.jpl.nasa.gov/ under Technical Societies
1. Meeting was called to order by the Committee Vice-Chair, Mark Warchol, at 12:20 p.m. 18 members
and guests attended the meeting including: Fathi AlQudeeb, Bill Aston, Yoseph Bar-Cohen, Tim Barbour,
Marwan Basrawl, George Belev, Kaydell C. Bowles, Claude Davis, Mat Golis, Danny L. Keck, Mark R. Pompe,
Scott D Ritzheimer, John Rusing, Graham Thomas Roland Valdes, Mark Warchol and Jim Woodrow.
2. With minor correction of spelling errors the committee approved the minutes of the Fall 1998 meeting.
3. Claude Davis requested to identify an E&Q Liaison and the committee passed a motion to have Mark Warchol
serve as the UT committee Liaison.
4. Claude reviewed the discussions at the E&Q Council meeting. He mentioned that 30 members attended
this meeting. The committee sought to get revision of the Questions & Answers for the various inspector
levels. Matt Golis reviewed his efforts where he recommended a balanced ratio between the various
topics of the questions.
5. So far only 3 members of the Ultrasonic Committee responded with comments and suggestions regarding
the revised Questions & Answered.
6. Claude expressed the Council desire to deal with the issue of certification vs. training and the fact
that inspectors are not given sufficient opportunity to test relevant samples during training.
7. The committee expressed concern regarding the possibility that ASNT would require a condition of
having Level II prior to obtaining level III.
8. The replacement of MIL-STD-410 is the Naval Air document NS-STD-410. In parallel SAE produced the
document AMS-410. According to Sam Rulin, TC-1A is not a specification and that is the cause that it
did not become the leading training specification.
9. According to Belev ISO is drafting a document that deals with training.
10. Kaydell mentioned that ASNT is seeking to form a document that is compatible with ISO-9712.
Increasingly companies in the USA will have to comply with ISO, which is essential for export, and
they are pursuing compliance.
11. The issue of using password on the Internet using the JPL server was addressed but no solution
could be offered. Efforts will be made to use the ASNT homepage and the coordinator is Brian Geary.
12. The progress preparing the ASNT TONE topical book series Vol. 4 was described by Bar-Cohen, who
is the editor. The book covers automation and robotics application to NDE.
13. The meeting was adjourned at 1:18 p.m.
If there are any comments, questions or suggestions, please send them via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
for further action.